Adding more RAM to workstation - DeepTalk - Deep Learning Community
Adding more RAM to workstation
post by Izzahmu on Jun 5, 2022
I have a deep learning workstation and would like to double the ram,
I bought equivalent ram sticks but when installed them the workstation wouldn’t boot up or it wouldn’t recognize them.
My work station is one year old
Do i need to initiate the empty slots?
Regards,
post by markd on Jun 7, 2022
There are a number of things to consider when upgrading:
- It is best to use the same memory.
- You need to fill in specific slots on some motherboards (shown in the manual for a given motherboard).
- You have to take into account cooling/temperature.
You can see the part number and specifics on the memory with:
sudo dmidecode -t memory
Feel free to email: support@lambdal.com about this, and we can help you. I would suggest as a minimum sending the output ‘dmidecode.txt’ from:
sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt
That would provide the motherboard and memory information.
Mark
post by Izzahmu on Nov 6, 2022
Thank you and sorry for the delayed reply.