CPU starvation on a gpu_1x_a10 instance - Technical Help - DeepTalk - Deep Learning Community
CPU starvation on a gpu_1x_a10 instance
post by Shimmer on Mar 13, 2025
Shimmer
Mar 2025
I have a long-running, CPU-bound, multi-threaded program running on a gpu_1x_a10 instance. Progress over time has stalled twice for an unknown reason, as shown in this graph: Imgur: The magic of the Internet. During these periods, I can see that CPU usage is near 0% via htop.
I assume that I’m running on a VM and sharing the CPU with other users. The two plateaus in the graph seem to indicate that my program is being starved of CPU for long stretches. (It’s theoretically possible that my program has some sort of bug, but it would be difficult to explain such a drastic drop-off and recovery.)
The same thing happened to me yesterday on another instance. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from occurring?
52 views
1 link
Related topics
| Topic | Replies | Views | Activity |
|---|---|---|---|
| High CPU “steal time” on 8x A100 machine | 0 | 692 | Jun 2023 |
| Running instances | 1 | 376 | Jan 2024 |
| Folding @ Home Help | 1 | 1.4k | Sep 2020 |
| How long does it usually take for GPUs to become available? | 1 | 2.4k | Nov 2022 |
| Booting takes long time and then “alert” status for gpu_1x_h100_pcie | 4 | 2.9k | Sep 2025 |