How do I set up IPMI - Technical Help - DeepTalk - Deep Learning Community

How do I set up IPMI

post by tandrew98 on Jun 6, 2024

Sorry for the basic question. I have not found any site that answers this.

I am attempting to set up IPMI, but I am not sure how. Is there any documentation on how to set this up?

I understand it usually takes a special network connection, but I do not see one of these in the back. There is a flat cable with an RJ45 connector in the box with the other cables. I also have two 10G ports:

$ ethtool  enp37s0f0
Settings for enp37s0f0:
\tSupported ports: [ TP ]
\tSupported link modes:   100baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    1000baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    10000baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    2500baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    5000baseT/Full
\tSupported pause frame use: Symmetric
\tSupports auto-negotiation: Yes
\tSupported FEC modes: Not reported
\tAdvertised link modes:  100baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    1000baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    10000baseT/Full
\tAdvertised pause frame use: Symmetric
\tAdvertised auto-negotiation: Yes
\tAdvertised FEC modes: Not reported
\tSpeed: 1000Mb/s
\tDuplex: Full
\tAuto-negotiation: on
\tPort: Twisted Pair
\tPHYAD: 0
\tTransceiver: internal
\tMDI-X: Unknown
\tSupports Wake-on: umbg
\tWake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
\tLink detected: yes
$ ethtool  enp37s0f1
Settings for enp37s0f1:
\tSupported ports: [ TP ]
\tSupported link modes:   100baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    1000baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    10000baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    2500baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    5000baseT/Full
\tSupported pause frame use: Symmetric
\tSupports auto-negotiation: Yes
\tSupported FEC modes: Not reported
\tAdvertised link modes:  100baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    1000baseT/Full
\t\t\t                    10000baseT/Full
\tAdvertised pause frame use: Symmetric
\tAdvertised auto-negotiation: Yes
\tAdvertised FEC modes: Not reported
\tSpeed: Unknown!
\tDuplex: Unknown! (255)
\tAuto-negotiation: on
\tPort: Twisted Pair
\tPHYAD: 0
\tTransceiver: internal
\tMDI-X: Unknown
\tSupports Wake-on: umbg
\tWake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
\tLink detected: no

Should I just be able to take the unused port for IPMI? If so, how do I associate that with it?

The current IPMI set up is the default:

$ ipmitool -I open lan print 1
Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : MD5
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : MD5
                        : User     : MD5
                        : Operator : MD5
                        : Admin    : MD5
                        : OEM      : MD5
IP Address Source       : DHCP Address
IP Address              : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask             : 0.0.0.0
MAC Address             : 08:bf:b8:81:91:82
SNMP Community String   : AMI
IP Header               : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 0.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 0,1,2,3,6,7,8,11,12,15,16,17
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : XaaaaaaaaaaaXXX
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM
Bad Password Threshold  : 0
Invalid password disable: no
Attempt Count Reset Int.: 0
User Lockout Interval   : 0

post by cody_b on Jun 7, 2024

What Lambda system do you have?

post by tandrew98 on Jun 11, 2024

This is a Vector workstation. I got this from dmidecode:

System Information
        Manufacturer: Lambda
        Product Name: Lambda Vector
...
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
        Product Name: Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI

Is that information helpful, or should I run something else?

post by cody_b on Jun 12, 2024

That information is helpful.

Connect to your network using both ports. Assuming your network is configured to assign IP addresses using DHCP, you should be able to see the IP address assigned to your BMC (IPMI) interface by running the command you ran previously, ipmitool -I open lan print 1.

The WRX80 motherboard doesn’t have a dedicated port for the BMC.

post by tandrew98 on Jun 13, 2024

My network should be handing out dynamic IPs as long as the MAC address is allowed on the network, but that does not occur in this instance. I still get 0.0.0.0 for the IP, so I decided to change to static with these commands:

ipmitool mc reset cold

ipmitool lan set 1 ipsrc static

ipmitool lan set 1 ipaddr 152.14.86.xxx

ipmitool lan set 1 netmask 255.255.255.xxx

ipmitool lan set 1 defgw ipaddr 152.14.86.xxx

Everything takes effect until I try to update the default gateway with the last command above. That is when I get this error:

LAN Parameter Data does not match! Write may have failed.

ipmitool lan print 1 gives this MAC:

08:bf:b8:81:91:82

ip a gives this one:

08:bf:b8:81:91:81

These MACs are what the OS provided by default. I expect to have to use the one for IPMI. Can you confirm? Could there be some mismatch or inconsistency with the IP and gateway I am using?

Perhaps there is a firmware upgrade that I need? If so, would I apply it through apt?

post by cody_b on Jun 18, 2024

08:bf:b8:81:91:82 is the BMC’s MAC address.

It’s possible your network doesn’t assign IP addresses using DHCP to devices with MAC addresses your network doesn’t recognize.

I recommend you contact Lambda Support for more help troubleshooting.