How to replace the SSD in LambdaQuad? - Technical Help - DeepTalk - Deep Learning Community

How to replace the SSD in LambdaQuad?

post by Karun on Jan 28, 2022

I am in a situation where the main SSD in my LambdaQuad (4 GPU workstation server) is in danger of dying.

I see the following error message once in a while:

EXT4-fs error device nvme0n1p2 ext4-find-entry:1455 inode: nnnnnn
System_Journal ID [nnn]: Failed to write entry…
It is giving me warning.

After rebooting the smartctl says the device “PASSED”.
But I suspect better replace now than wait for it to crash.

The OS is Ubuntu 20.04.

The SSD details:

Model Number: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB
Serial Number: S46DNF0K504699M

How to replace it and avoid reinstalling the OS (Ubuntu 20.04)?

Thanks,

Karun

post by Karun on Jan 28, 2022

I meant smartctl --all /dev/nvme0n1p2 says the
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

post by markd on Jan 29, 2022

We have a ticket on this. It will be helpful to have the:

smartctl -x /dev/nvme0

Also it may be you just need to run fsck. I am waiting on data to determine how/why the data was corrupt. (inode is basically a pointer to a file).

Either way it is best to back up your data sooner.

For copying there are a few ways…

  1. The hold ‘hack’ way

    • a. Copy the partition table

      dd if=/dev/olddev of=/dev/newdev

      where olddev/newdev are your actual device names

      Control-C after a few seconds (copies the partition tables)

      Or you can use fdisk, parted, gparted to create the same partitions.

    • b. mkfs/Mount the partitions

      • mkfs the new partitions
      • mount the partitions
      • Then use cp -ax or find . | cpio -pdum directory
  2. Use one of the tools… I will test clonezilla and gparted to do the moves.

    https://clonezilla.org/
    GParted -- GParted Manual

Normally I just do a fresh install, and copy over the home or data directories.

Mark