Installing Lambda Stack on my "non-clean" workstation - Technical Help - DeepTalk - Deep Learning Community
Installing Lambda Stack on my “non-clean” workstation
post by Elan on Dec 11, 2018
Hey there, I had a look and didn’t see a thread discussing this, so sorry if I missed it!
I just got back from NeurIPS (where I spoke to your awesome team) and I am very keen to get started with using Lambda Stack on my workstation. The only thing that is getting in my way is fact that I have a few questions I have not been able to find the answers to. The main point being: “I have a workstation on which I already have Anaconda, tensorflow, pytorch, CUDA, etc installations - all that messy stuff - and I want to know what I should do before I install the nice and sleek Lambda Stack”.
More explicitly:
- should I uninstall CUDA and CUDNN?
- should I uninstall Anaconda (and all the python packages I have with it)?
- does Lambda Stack come with a python package manager (like pip or Anaconda)?
It would be awesome if there was a blog tutorial on how people can convert from their current workstation setups to the Lambda Stack setup 🙂 In fact, if I have the answer to all these questions, I could write that up 🙂
Thanks in advance 🙂
post by sabalaba on Dec 14, 2018
Hi Elan,
The main things you’ll want to do is remove anything in your .bashrc that does stuff like export LD_LIBRARY_PATH or export PATH. Then remove anything that was pip installed (like tensorflow or torch).
Then simply install Lambda Stack and you should be set.
post by Arne42 on Jan 12, 2020
Hi Stephen,
I too am in the same situation where I want to set up Lambda Stack on a mature installation.
I had entries in LD_LIBRARY_PATH and export PATH which I removed.
I disabled the ufw firewall.
I’m still getting the same error of “E: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda”.
$ LAMBDA_REPO=$(mktemp) && .…
Connecting to lambdalabs… (lambdalabs…)|52.8.62.94|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 3588 (3.5K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘/tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3’
/tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3 100%[================================================================> ] 3.50K --.-KB/s in 0s
2020-01-12 20:49:17 (305 MB/s) - ‘/tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3’ saved [3588/3588]
[sudo] password for odland:
(Reading database … 219176 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack /tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3 …
Unpacking lambda-repository (0.1) over (0.1) …
Setting up lambda-repository (0.1) …
Hits and Gets 1…12
Fetched 252 kB in 4s (63.5 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda
Thanks in advance,
-Arne
post by jeremy on Jan 13, 2020
Hey Arne,
Can provide the output of the following command?
apt policy lambda-stack-cuda
post by Arne42 on Jan 13, 2020
Hey Jeremy,
$ apt policy lambda-stack-cuda
N: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda
$ sudo apt policy lambda-stack-cuda
[sudo] password for xxxxxxxx:
N: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda
I get the same return on both machines, one is the older Ubuntu 18.04 install I’m attempting to add Lamda Stack to, and the other is a Lambda Tensor book where Lambda Stack was put on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install.
post by Arne42 on Jan 13, 2020
“apt-cache policy” instead of “apt policy”?
post by jeremy on Jan 13, 2020
apt should suffice, though I’d be curious to know whether the output is different.
Now what about:
apt policy | grep lambda