LambdStack on WSL2 vs ACPI - Technical Help - DeepTalk - Deep Learning Community

LambdStack on WSL2 vs ACPI

post by gkarsai on Jun 17, 2023

While waiting for a Lambda Workstation, I was trying to install the LambdaStack on WSL2 (Ubuntu 22.04). The installation got stuck in activating the ACPI service via systemd. Apparently you are not supposed to use the ACPI services in a container (i.e. WSL2). Is there a workaround?

Thanks!

post by mpapili on Jun 18, 2023

I don’t have a setup to perfectly mimic this, so apologies in advance at what is mostly a guesswork answer. Trying to recreate on my only Windows machine did not encounter any issues, however I didn’t realize I’d installed it on WSL1 and only LATER upgraded to WSL2 - so perhaps that’s worth a shot (setting up a fresh 22.04 WSL1 distro, attempting install, and if successful upgrading it to the desired WSL2)?

Assuming that’s not it - some guesses:

ACPI’s service unit file has a condition prior to ExecStart which I believe you alluded to:

# line within service file for acpid.service
ConditionVirtualization=!container

if you edit /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/acpid.service in your WSL2 distro to remove that line, perhaps you will have more success - however this assumes that your container is set up correctly with systemd and I’m not even sure if WSL2 can enable/start services normally this way.

It seems like ACPI runs with no args outside of what’s in the environment file, which by default is blank. So perhaps try running:

# manually run the ExecStart section
/usr/sbin/acpid

See if you can get more information when it’s hung. Can you find the PID of your lambda-stack install with ps aux | grep -i install and then, as root in another window on the same distro, run:

strace -p <PID>

post by gkarsai on Jun 18, 2023

Well, WSL2 does not have the ACPI service set up – not systemd control file, /usr/sbin/acpid is missing, etc. It seems that the lambda stack installation somehow installs it and when systemd tries it gets stuck (looks like the systemd keeps trying forever).

BTW, I used these instructions: Quick Setup for Deep Learning in Windows via WSL2 using Lambda Stack

Question: Is there a way to prohibit lambda stack from starting the acpi service?

post by gkarsai on Jun 18, 2023

Well, using the ‘official’ installation scripts the installation completes and TF detects the GPU.

Thanks!